I am often asked if I do author visits. The answer is yes! Please contact me through my contact page if you are interested in discussing a visit to your school or library.
All my children’s workshops can be tailored to any age range. Each are designed to be about forty-five minutes, but can be tailored into longer workshops with the addition of writing exercises. I may bring a power point presentation for some workshop visits, but do a lot of interactive discussion with the kids as well. I prefer smaller groups, but I’m able to do large groups too!I generally come to a school for a full day, and deliver workshops to four or five different classrooms or groups. For a full day, my fee is $400 (in New Hampshire) and $550 for out of state, plus expenses for travel (over 2.25 hours) and accommodations if needed. Contact me to discuss options and pricing for partial days.
My publisher, Spencer Hill, is able to deliver books for school visits at a discount off the retail price. Please contact Spencer Hill with the date of my talk and the number of books you’d like to order.
All workshops align with Common Core Standards and state curriculum frameworks for English Language Arts and Literacy.
Here’s what an author visit from me may look like:
- I visit with kids in your classroom or library group over Skype for free. This consists of an author reading and a ten minute question and answer session. I do ask that the children are familiar with my work before we visit.
- In person visit for children in grades pre-k-2nd. These visits include a storytelling session with my puppet friend, Peck, and a mini writing or art lesson–teacher’s choice.
- In person visits for children in grades 3-5. These visits include a read aloud session, question/answer session and a mini-writing lesson using the short story that inspired my novel, Hapenny Magick. We compare it to the final novel that was published to talk about revision or we can do a workshop listed below.
- In person visits for children in grades 6-10. These visits include a read aloud session, question/answer session and a short-writing lesson (your choice of workshops below)
- Different rates apply for visits with college students (in New Hampshire) who are interested in writing or editing as a career. Please contact me if you are interested.
- Please contact me to discuss options and pricing for partial days.
Writing workshops include:
- -Writing with the five senses (all grades)
-World Building 101 (grade 4 and up)
-Storytelling with Peck (grade Pre-K – 2)
-Exploding Sentences (grade 1-4)
-Character Design (grade 5 and up )
-Revision 101 (grade 4 and up)
- I am amenable to other topics that suit the teacher’s needs. Please contact me if you have ideas.
To view full workshop details please see my writing workshop page.