It’s here! The final Softie of the Week sewing pattern. I hope you like this cute little butterfly. I made her from black wool and a tea dyed cotton, but I’d love to see her made in bright colors! If you have enjoyed these free softie patterns, I hope you will consider joining my mailing list, here. You will receive a quarterly newsletter with new pattern information, newsletter only specials, discounts, and information about exciting events and free projects!
So, a few directions:
1. Click on the pattern below and drag to your desktop. Print it and cut the pattern pieces out.
2. Cut two bodies from your choice of body fabric. From the body fabric make two antennae, approx. 4″ long by 1/2″ wide. Sew the antennae and turn right side out. Tie a knot in the end.
3. Cut 1 face. Center the face in the middle of one body piece at head. Zig zag stitch around face. Embroider nose and give her a pair of eyes. You can embroider, felt or use buttons for the eyes. Pin antennae to top of head.
4.Baste antennae. Pin body pieces together with right sides together and sew around body from turning flap to turning flap. Turn right side out. Stuff and close opening with a ladder stitch.
5. Cut two wings on the fold. Sew with a 1/4″ seam. There is no turning opening. Make a slit in the center of one wing and turn wings right side out.
6. Top stitch on the wing a decorative curvy pattern–the topstitching should be done on the side of the wing with the slit. Pinch wing together and put a couple of stay stitches in. Sew to back of butterfly body.
7. If you want you can use some upholstery thread to segment the body.
8. Love her!